Skip to main content
About Us
Heathers Blog
WEG 2014

 Heathers Blog 
Sunday, June 06 2010
Skip, Jeremy and I headed out yet again this weekend with the 5 year old crew.  This weekend was the polar opposite, weather-wise from last weekend!!  The plan was that Skip and Jeremy would ride the same two from last weekend, Tin Roof and Stirgess and I would crew as Strut will be going to FT Howes and it wasn't fair to have him do this one too.

On Tuesday I went out and marked a large section of trail with the ride manager, Lori Oleson.  I saw how the ride was going to be really tough but also very pretty.  When I returned from the marking adventure I was telling Megan Robinson, (my friend that rode with all of us the weekend before at Wild West on her horse Kongo) how I wished I were riding as it was going to be so pretty.  She very quickly offered me Kongo as she had to go to a wedding on Saturday and couldn't do the race.

After talking it over with Jeremy it was quickly decided that I would ride Kongo.

We met at the barn around noon and started to load the horses.  We thought that Kongo should be first into the trailer but he didn't agree so Roof was first.  Kongo would have to be second as the third horse needs to back out and IF there should be any refusal with the backing out we wanted the smallest 5 year old to be the one that we would have to "make" get out.  Kongo didn't want to go in at all.  After a bit of asking him he decided to blow us off and spun around and ran around the ranch for a few minutes.  After we caught him again we got him in.

Once at the ride we set things up and put up the Easy Up tent and relaxed in the shade.  It was pretty darn hot out.  We didn't pre-ride but Jeremy and I did go for a 3 mile run.  After vetting in we drove down to Gilroy to Applebees and had dinner and watched some hockey. 

The ride meeting was at 6:30 and went over how vast the park is and to not get lost.  Start time would be 6:30 am.

At 6:25 am we gave our numbers and then watched the start.  Then we bridled up and started walking out onto the course.  Kongo was being VERY excited.  He is normally a very quiet horse.  I just would lead him a little longer.  Jeremy then stated that it was time to get on.  I got on and Kongo froze and then jumped up sideways onto a bank and felt like he was going to blow.  I jumped off to see if something was wrong.  Nothing.  Got back on, he froze again, Jeremy grabbed him and tried to pony him but it was making Stirgess really amped.  When he let go Kongo felt like he was going to explode.  That is when I pulled him up to dismount for the second time and my left rein flew by.  The clip had broke off!  I managed to get off and proceeded to correct Kongo, which he promptly decided not to stick around for and he spun around and took off back towards camp.  Another rider was coming towards us and following her was Kongo.  Cool.  He saw us and spun around and took off again.  This time all the way back.

After getting new reins and Jeremy riding him around for a second I got on him and he was the calm rational horse that he normally was.  Weird.  On with our day.

The day went on and on and on.  It was one of the hardest 50 mile rides I have done.  It was pretty hot and extremely hilly.  We finished at 6:10 pm.  All three 5 year olds looked relatively good for how hard the day had been.  Another one done for Stirgess, Kongo and Roof.  Next time it will be that much easier.

We are headed off for Ft Howes next, we leave in two days.   We will be doing a 75 on Saturday followed by a 100 on Sunday!  That will be a first for me.  The 75 mile horses will be Makazin and Tiran and the 100 milers will be Strut and Kutt.  That will be fun saying those two names all day, Strut and Kutt, how cute.

Until next time,
Posted by: Heather AT 11:31 pm   |  Permalink   |  Email

Reynolds Racing
Dunnellon, FL 34431
 Heather: 408-687-7082
Jeremy: 408-687-7083

Design Your Own Website, Today!
iBuilt Design Software
Give it a try for Free